Wednesday, March 14, 2012

out and about

I must admit I have become quite terrible at mid-week posts and there is some reason behind this. Mostly it is due to the fact that writing about how much I love what I am doing becomes tiresome to write and surely tiresome to read so my thought is to spare both me and you the reader. Also it is sheer forgetfulness and laziness - when I a get home at about 5:30, I catch up on facebook and emails, then make dinner, watch something on netflix or catch up via skype with a friend, read and go to bed by 10:30pm. Thrilling, I know.

As far as the internship goes, I am (surprise surprise) still completely enamored with it. My public programs supervisor is letting me create the docent training for next week and it is about the subtle differences between modern and contemporary art. I'm still researching the wallpaper but it's just for me now - the librarian thinks I should write an article about it. There are all manner of other projects I am deep into but really what has my undivided attention is my attempt to find a job/figure out what I want to do/where I want to live/whether any of that matters or if I'm willing to take literally anything available. This whole not knowing where I will even live in May is horrifying to me and realizing it is already mid-March, I am getting anxious about traveling to all the places I want to travel to in New England. Well quite frankly that is everywhere and is impossible, which I realize and am coping with.

I did finally get to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston this past weekend and it was wonderful because they have things like an entire room devoted to John Singer Sargent and one devoted to Winslow Homer so yeah it was HEAVEN. Admittedly, it would have been grand to have someone to espouse my joy upon and squeeze their hand in excitement, but still good. Then the next day I had no plans as my brother and his girlfriend were continuing car shopping so I packed up my backpack, went into Boston, got some coffee, a croissant and sat in Boston Common. It was heavenly-I think all I will require in a place in which I reside a good coffee place with an adjacent park with benches. That is all. I blame London-some of my most treasured memories are getting up early, walking to ISH for breakfast and getting coffee to go then walking through Regents Park in the hushed foggy morning. I do so miss it, like an achy little hole in my chest. It's not so much the place but the freedom of possibilities that London afforded me. Ok it's definitely partly the place (I mean come ON London is so damn beautiful! Walking anywhere in Manchester feels like a punishment because it is so ugly), but mostly the opportunities available. I feel that in Boston and it's wonderful/awful because it reminds fiercely of my time abroad and the carefree time I spent there.

Anyway, once I finished my coffee I just wandered around Beacon Hill because it is all cobble stones, gas lamp posts, brick buildings and wrought iron - completely beautiful. Then I headed back to Manch for some thrilling cleaning and laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment