Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Introductions

This is what happens when I am introduced to someone (about 10+ a day):

1. My supervisor, Jane, says, "This is my intern Aimie. She is from Wisconsin!"

2. Response of random person we will refer to as Pam, "Oh my gawd! Where in Wisconsin are you from?" (eyes have bugged out a little at this point).

3. At this point I use my hand as the map of Wisconsin and point out where Waukesha is, talk about Milwaukee and try to make sense of the fact that although UWSP is called University of Wisconsin, it isn't just a satellite campus of Madison. What I neglect to do is tell people that Wisconsin is shapped like a hand, which I don't think is common knowledge. I gather this from the look of confusion as to why I was pointing at my hand today. Oops.

4. Pam, "Wow, and where are living?"

5. Me, "Across the river in a house with this woman I found on Craigslist"

6. Pam, "HA! What?! Really?" (at this point I can practically hear the whir of their brains as they collect this information later to relay in a story to someone else)

7. Me, "Yeah it's actually totally fine, she is really nice"

It is hilarious and goes the same way every time. I can tell I am this strange anomaly running around their museum. This is due largely to the fact that Manchester is NOT a happening place that would ordinarily draw a Wisconsin bumpkin across the country in a Buick. Instead it's more like the east coast's version of Wisconsin, ironically enough. I love it just the same. My need for adventure and itch to explore new places is being satiated in a way it hasn't for the past 3 years (since London).

No comments:

Post a Comment